10 Things You Didn’t Know About Strawberries
There’s nothing better than the first sweet ripe strawberries of the season. The season has started in Europe and different varieties will start sprouting as we move into summer.
All year long, you can buy Strawberries, but it is only when they are in Season that you get the most out of their flavors and benefits.
- Strawberries are not a fruit. The real fruits are the small yellow grains, called achenes, scattered on the surface of the fruit. The average berry is adorned with some 200 of them. No wonder it only takes one bite to get seeds stuck in your teeth.
- Strawberry has always fascinated by its delicate flavor. The word strawberry comes from the Latin fragare which means "feel good"
- There are more than 600 varieties, of different size, texture, color and flavor. Some varieties lend themselves well to freezing, others are rather called table strawberries, some still tolerate cooking well. Some varieties you can find on Les Gastronomes food store Guariguette, Dream, Mara des Bois, Fraise des Bois, Charlotte, Elsanta, Darselect etc….
- Always wash strawberries when serving or preparing them and always before hulling them to prevent them from soaking with water.
- This very fragile fruit does not tolerate heat, transport and handling. The slightest shock bruises him, he rots quickly and contaminates others. So immediately remove soft, dull and/or moldy strawberries from the ravine and check those at the bottom of the container.
- Strawberries can also be pickled. Especially when picked green or unripe. If your berries are overripe, make jam!
- Strawberry is one of the particularly aphrodisiac foods. This fruit contains magnesium, useful for fighting stress. So if you also combine strawberry with chocolate, then it's apotheosis!
- Strawberries are believed to help reduce the risk of heart disease and certain cancers. They are low in calories and high in vitamins C, B6, K, fiber, folic acid, potassium and amino acids.
- Strawberries contain high levels of nitrate. This has been shown to increase blood and oxygen flow to the muscles. Research suggests that people who load up on strawberries before exercising have greater endurance and burn more calories.
- There is a Strawberry Museum in Belgium. In the gift shop at Le Musée de la Fraise (The Strawberry Museum), you can buy everything from strawberry jam to strawberry beer.