Veal Escalope with Creamy Garlic Mushrooms
Serves: 6 (main)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 – 30 minutes
As the meat lovers amongst us will attest, veal is a delicious delicacy that is known and loved for its delicate taste. One of the best ways to get the most out of veal’s delicate flavor profile is to try it in an escalope format.
We’ve put together this creamy, indulgent recipe so that you can enjoy veal in a whole new way. If you’d like to add some starch to the plate, consider serving a few roast potatoes on the side.
- 6 Veal escalopes (around 100 – 125g)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp butter
- Freshly ground pepper
- 500g button mushrooms (quartered)
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 4 tbsp grain mustard
- 10 tbsp clotted cream
- 4 tbsp fresh chives (chopped)
- Fresh herbs for garnishing
- Large skillet
- Frying pan
- Season the veal with salt and pepper. Remember that there’s no need to pound the veal as an escalope has already been flattened.
- Over a medium heat, add 2tbsp of olive oil and half of the butter into the skillet. Once the oil has heated, place half of your escalopes in the skillet and cook for 40 seconds or until the edges turn a golden-brown colour.
- Once a golden-brown colour has been achieved, turn the meat over and cook for a further 40 seconds.
- Remove the escalopes from the skillet and transfer them to a plate. Cover the plate loosely with foil to ensure the veal stays warm & continues to cook.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 with the remaining escalopes.
- Now that your veal escalopes have been cooked and are warming, it’s time to start on your creamy garlic mushrooms.
- Heat the remaining oil and butter in your frying pan. Add your mushrooms and garlic & proceed to fry gently. Fry for 4 to 5 minutes or until the mushrooms have browned.
- Once your mushrooms have browned, stir in your cream and mustard. Season to taste using salt and freshly ground pepper.
- After 2 to 3 minutes of cooking, add your chives to the frying pan and stir gently.
- Once your creamy mushrooms are ready, spoon the mixture onto your serving plates and place the veal escalopes on top of the sauce.
- Garnish with fresh herbs of your choice, serve and enjoy.
And there you have it! A simple recipe to serve a stunning piece of meat well. Veal is an exceptionally delicate meat and pairing it with creamy garlic mushrooms helps to elevate this dish into something more indulgent & luxurious.
What is your favourite way to enjoy veal? Are you an escalope fan, or more of a chops kind of person? Feel free to share your thoughts with us in the comments section below.