Serves: 4 (starter)
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: N/A
- 250g Rangers Valley Wagyu Tenderloin, chilled in the freezer for 15 min.
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon minced shallots
- 3/4 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sherry/red grape vinegar
- 2 teaspoons egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons crushed kettle cooked potato chips
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Pecorino
- 2 small button mushroom caps, thinly sliced
- Prepare all your ingredients and utensils on your work table.
- Refrigerate a medium mixing bowl while you slice the beef.
- Using clean strokes and cutting against the grain, slice the tenderloin into 1/2 cm cubes —not smashing or chopping. Place the meat into the chilled bowl and chill in the fridge until ready to serve, no more than 20 minutes.
- Just before serving, combine the beef with the crushed red pepper and salt, using the rounded edge of a small spoon to mix in.
- Add the olive oil, lemon zest and shallots, and gently toss.
- Add the fish sauce, vinegar and egg yolk, and toss 2 to 3 times, being careful not to over-stir.
- Gently fold in the crushed potato chips.
To serve, divide the tartare among 4 plates and sprinkle with the Pecorino. Layer the mushrooms over top and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Tastingtable.com